We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

I was wanting to do a couple of zines on different topics for the This Is Not Art fair on next Sunday. I have a few of my books that I can scan in different pages from, but I was wondering if any of you lovely zine people had done any. Basically it was going to be scans on one page, explanation on the other. I wanted to include a historical section and um I don't know what else yet :P

So any stories about book art? Famous artists who have indulged, examples of your own. I gots ta know people.

Tags: art, book, compilation, planning, zine

Views: 1

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Emma

I worked with a book artist called Kate Farley on a commission for Sherborne House in Dorset - we were asked to produce something for their Reading Room exhibition of artists' books which reflected some of the history of the house (it had previously been a grand home and a school for girls), as part of their Reading Room exhibition a few years back. You can see a lot of Kate's photos from the project on my website.

Art-books I've produced myself include Volume the Fifty Fourth - this was hand-bound and stamped, it's written as an index to a fictional, wholly self-referential library, with each page having a brief description of one book in the library - and Gabriel, which is a big book whose text weaves a lot of ideas about the archangel from different traditions together. There are a few scans up there but I want to get the whole thing scanned eventually as there's only one copy. I had Gabriel professionally bound but you couldn't see it as anything other than an artists' book if you saw it, really.

I'd love to talk to you about any of these if you're interested.
Wow Wes, that is way more of an answer than I was expecting :) The collaborative book is gorgeous, so pretty. Completely besotted with the chairs that are pressed into the page (we're using up the last of our downloads so my interweb is very slow today).

Would I be able to put an image of one of the pages into my zine? I want to ask you so many questions about it but I'm having trouble making my brain work today, so hopefully you don't mind if I wait until tomorrow morning to have a look through your stuff properly then talk to you. Thankyou so much.

Wes White said:
Hey Emma

I worked with a book artist called Kate Farley on a commission for Sherborne House in Dorset - we were asked to produce something for their Reading Room exhibition of artists' books which reflected some of the history of the house (it had previously been a grand home and a school for girls), as part of their Reading Room exhibition a few years back. You can see a lot of Kate's photos from the project on my website.

Art-books I've produced myself include Volume the Fifty Fourth - this was hand-bound and stamped, it's written as an index to a fictional, wholly self-referential library, with each page having a brief description of one book in the library - and Gabriel, which is a big book whose text weaves a lot of ideas about the archangel from different traditions together. There are a few scans up there but I want to get the whole thing scanned eventually as there's only one copy. I had Gabriel professionally bound but you couldn't see it as anything other than an artists' book if you saw it, really.

I'd love to talk to you about any of these if you're interested.
Ah thank you Emma! Regards using a picture, I think that would be fine, but on that one I'll have to double check with Kate as they're her photos - you might want to talk to her directly too as she did all of the physical work on that book, I just made the text in that case and chatted with her about it! This is her own website with contact details - katefarley.co.uk.
Will do. This is one of the images for the zine, give you an idea of what I'm going for.

Wes White said:
Ah thank you Emma! Regards using a picture, I think that would be fine, but on that one I'll have to double check with Kate as they're her photos - you might want to talk to her directly too as she did all of the physical work on that book, I just made the text in that case and chatted with her about it! This is her own website with contact details - katefarley.co.uk.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service