We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

I've just got a new issue of my zine, Attack!!!!, ready for posting - details later tonight, contain your excitement for a few hours! - and every time I get a new issue ready to go I always find myself thinking "wow, wouldn't it be handy to have an up-to-date list of people who review or cover zines to send copies off to"... so let's start one.

I'll do my best to edit this top post to keep it up to date, but I know even if I'm typing that I am most likely dooming myself to failure by saying that, but... I promise to at least try. For a bit.

Okay so first off here are some places I already intend to send mine to:

UK-based review-zines

Fanzine Fanatique
Keith and Rosemary Walker
6 Vine Street
Lancaster
LA1 4UF
UK


US-based review-zines

Zine World
*read their guidelines first*:
http://www.undergroundpress.org/send-us-your-zine/
PO Box 330156
Murfreesboro
TN 37133-0156
USA


Canada-based review-zines

Broken Pencil
*read their guidelines*:
http://www.brokenpencil.com/about/submit.php
PO Box 203
Station P
Toronto
Ontario
M5S 2S7
CANADA



... er... that's everything I can remember off the top of my head, I've got more contacts at home so I'll try and post them up here later when I come back and tell you all about Attack!!!! 10!

Also distro's who want samples could go on this list - let us know if you are one and want to be on here. Oh and zine libraries!

Obviously all us tossers should always send crap to "suck til i sag" zine as outlined in another thread.

Views: 63

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Andrew Culture said:
I only print 400!

You are totally right that not all of those zines review other zines, I ought to start a new sheet on that spreadsheet!

I really should get around to sending you my spreadsheet of stuff to see if there's any i have on mine you don't have on yours...
Ciao Andrew, I've just read a review of Beat Motel #7 in Zine World and it seems to be good. I happen to have a blog devoted to mail art and zines that features zine reviews:
http://gloomy-sundays.blogspot.com
I also contribute reviews for Xerography Debt, and the reviews I write for my blog end up in the XD blog too. So if you want, you can send me a copy of your zine. My address is:

Gianni Simone
3-3-23 Nagatsuta
Midori-ku
Yokohama-shi
226-0027 Kanagawa-ken
Japan

Cheers - Gianni
hey if anyone wants to trade a zine with me, i'll send ya mine and then I'll review yours in a future issue of mine "Lights Go Out"

cheers
I'm only now starting to realise how big ZineWorld is, I'm trying to get some copies for my distro. The only problem is that the orders come through as a result of ZineWorld's reviews about the same time my print run runs out! I'll try and get some reprints I guess.

One copy of beat motel #8 is on it's way!

Gianni Simone said:
Ciao Andrew, I've just read a review of Beat Motel #7 in Zine World and it seems to be good. I happen to have a blog devoted to mail art and zines that features zine reviews:
http://gloomy-sundays.blogspot.com
I also contribute reviews for Xerography Debt, and the reviews I write for my blog end up in the XD blog too. So if you want, you can send me a copy of your zine. My address is:

Gianni Simone
3-3-23 Nagatsuta
Midori-ku
Yokohama-shi
226-0027 Kanagawa-ken
Japan

Cheers - Gianni
Andrew, you will excuse my curiosity but... you said you usually send out 250 review copies of your zine. Where the hell are all these reviewers?! Maybe you meant to say you trade with regular zinesters who will write about the Beat Motel in their zine?
I'm not that accurate, there are a bulk of zines I know will review Beat Motel, but on the whole I'm firing them off into the big darkness to see what comes back. Admittedly that was more when I was first starting up, now (thankfully) the copies tend to shift themselves a bit better.

I also send a copy to each contributor and to any label that has sent me more than one release, which is one of the many reasons I'm slashing the size of my music review section, as the last issue played out like this;

Pages - 80
Zine Reviews - 67
Release Reviews - 142
Live Reviews - 10
Columns - 18
Words - 69,400
If you are interested in sending your stuff to German review zines, please check out the list I posted in the Connecting Across the Pond thread.
wow! Thanks for posting the link to the UK-based reviewers, I honestly didn't know there was any place like that based in the UK?
Sophia
Not sure if it is of any use to you guys but there's a really 'established' (7 years running) website in Spain that reviews all zines in Spanish. Thought of mentioning it in case some of you write bilingual zines and/or are interested in learning more about the (very) active zine scene in my country.

As you can see on the website's front page, zines (or fanzines as they call it here; I much prefer to call them zines) are reviewed by category ( art, literature, music and so on) ...

http://fondoperdido.dreamers.com/

I must confess I tend to visit this website to read the section 'Fanziner@ del mes' (Zinester of the month) as I love reading about others' influences, how they started out as zinesters and what zines they recommend. Fun reading!

Apart from that there's a handful of us in Spain either making zines in English (moi :) ) or able to communicate in the language and into trading with zinesters from other countries so if any of you is interested I can get you in touch with some of my fellow zinesters.

I have the feeling Nieves Books in Switzerland also reviews zines so worth checking that out too! They are especially into art zines.

And someone mentioned to me that there's quite an active zine scene in Chile but Mr Google is not helping me much in finding out links / further info on this.
Spanishzinestress78 said:
Not sure if it is of any use to you guys but there's a really 'established' (7 years running) website in Spain that reviews all zines in Spanish. Thought of mentioning it in case some of you write bilingual zines and/or are interested in learning more about the (very) active zine scene in my country.

As you can see on the website's front page, zines (or fanzines as they call it here; I much prefer to call them zines) are reviewed by category ( art, literature, music and so on) ...

http://fondoperdido.dreamers.com/

I must confess I tend to visit this website to read the section 'Fanziner@ del mes' (Zinester of the month) as I love reading about others' influences, how they started out as zinesters and what zines they recommend. Fun reading!

Apart from that there's a handful of us in Spain either making zines in English (moi :) ) or able to communicate in the language and into trading with zinesters from other countries so if any of you is interested I can get you in touch with some of my fellow zinesters.

I have the feeling Nieves Books in Switzerland also reviews zines so worth checking that out too! They are especially into art zines.

And someone mentioned to me that there's quite an active zine scene in Chile but Mr Google is not helping me much in finding out links / further info on this.

This is really interesting, I shall investigate when I get home (but can't speak Spanish!)
is fanzine fanatique still going? anyone know were i can get a copy? last hours reviews loads of stuff too
rhagfyr said:
is fanzine fanatique still going? anyone know were i can get a copy? last hours reviews loads of stuff too

Good question, I haven't heard from them in ages. I haven't seen that they've stopped though, assume they're just busy...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

 

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service