We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

what are everyones favourite art zines? and does any one make them?

sometimes i think some bw photocopied/low res zines just stick art in and it doesnt work but when the artwork is made with the format in mind/its the zine that is the piece of art, it works a lot better.

also does anyone go to artist book fairs?

Views: 352

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The magcloud people are apparently better for magazines with photos, being specifically set up for it and cheaper (£2 magcloud £2.80 for the same thing on Lulu), and I'm in no hurry to get the thing out, I'd rather work on it for a while.

Trent Rampage said:
ah! i've been her like, livejournal friend for YEARS but i've stopped being on ther for a while now. i got her zine ages back and it was awesome! i'm going to have to try to find her on this and ask her for a trade.

Niku said:
she is! and they are great!

Trent Rampage said:
wow is Jane (Boston) still doing zines? hers are amaizng.

Niku said:
I love to read and make art zines. most of the ones I make are full color collage style, some with add-ons (extra embellishments on each page, goodies included, etc.) There are some black and white zines that include art or are specifically art zines that work really well, and I think it's due to how carefully done they are. There are even some with black white ones with photographs that are really well done. An example of each: Jane Boston's zines have wonderful collages and their quality is wonderful; Bree Chumley's zines (such as Coney Island of my mind) - beautiful photographs, great quality copying that doesn't diminish them.

From my own experience, I think making b&w art just takes trial and error, and finding a good copy machine.

I also like doing full color because a lot of mine include 3 dimensional objects in the collages - sort of mini mixed media pieces, and I want all of it to come through.
Yeah I'm all about art zines. I make zines to promote my art and get word out there. To me it's probably the best way to promote your art outside the interweb. They're super fun to make. Yeah, but you do need to keep the format in mind. I print in B+W, so I do all of my drawing in B+W. Personally art zines are my favorite ones of all. I freakin' love when an artist decides to put together a zine.
Colly, did you get my letter about those art zine questions?? I think I may have sent it just as you were moving address, so just checking! x
Since 2000 I have been publishing a mail art-related zine called KAIRAN. Actually it's more a mail art forum, which means a good part of the space is devoted to articles, interviews, etc. about the subject. But of course it features b/w art as well, plus in most issues I even add stickers, artistamps, ATCs and other small art pieces in color.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service