We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

what are everyones favourite art zines? and does any one make them?

sometimes i think some bw photocopied/low res zines just stick art in and it doesnt work but when the artwork is made with the format in mind/its the zine that is the piece of art, it works a lot better.

also does anyone go to artist book fairs?

Views: 351

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've been publishing ART BUREAU since 2002. The zine's half-size, landscape-format, provides ample room for artwork and articles about artistic collaborations, networking and art organizations.

To make each issue a "piece of art," participating artists help create an affordable art-filled package that include original drawings, signed prints, sticker packs, button badges and other unique items for the zine.

I created the zine so that people could not only see and read about artists, but also become art collectors via their mailbox.

Bert from the Bureau.
I made one art zine but I consider it a "coloring zine" instead of coloring book. It was a collaboration between my friend and I. It was drawings we did in a certain time period. It was fun!
My favourite UK artist is a lad called Steve who does 'Rum Lad' zine, here in the UK I think he's pretty well known, well at least his work is turning up everywhere!
http://www.myspace.com/stevanhalen
I love to read and make art zines. most of the ones I make are full color collage style, some with add-ons (extra embellishments on each page, goodies included, etc.) There are some black and white zines that include art or are specifically art zines that work really well, and I think it's due to how carefully done they are. There are even some with black white ones with photographs that are really well done. An example of each: Jane Boston's zines have wonderful collages and their quality is wonderful; Bree Chumley's zines (such as Coney Island of my mind) - beautiful photographs, great quality copying that doesn't diminish them.

From my own experience, I think making b&w art just takes trial and error, and finding a good copy machine.

I also like doing full color because a lot of mine include 3 dimensional objects in the collages - sort of mini mixed media pieces, and I want all of it to come through.
That sounds really cool, am so checking it out

Art Bureau said:
I've been publishing ART BUREAU since 2002. The zine's half-size, landscape-format, provides ample room for artwork and articles about artistic collaborations, networking and art organizations.

To make each issue a "piece of art," participating artists help create an affordable art-filled package that include original drawings, signed prints, sticker packs, button badges and other unique items for the zine.

I created the zine so that people could not only see and read about artists, but also become art collectors via their mailbox.

Bert from the Bureau.
I'm working on a colour photography zine. I found a website www.magcloud.com that does print on demand magazines from your pdfs, no adverts or minimum print runs, which was just what I wanted. I'd wanted to do something similar for a while, but not been happy with results from colour photocopiers (they tend to burn out highlights in photos), and found it an expensive way of doing things. I'm not hurrying making it though, as they are in beta and haven't sorted out international postage yet, which means I can't get to see my proof without some postal shenanigans.
cafe royal art zine/books are amazing! www.caferoyal.org

also the people behind Mount Pleasant who do amazing color, comic/sketch zines like: "My Life Is Like A Movie-Tom Cruise" www.itsmountpleasant.com

and oh the Hello Alan series zines: www.helloalan.com. the print their zines in colour and really good paper with this guy: www.exwhyzed.eu
wow is Jane (Boston) still doing zines? hers are amaizng.

Niku said:
I love to read and make art zines. most of the ones I make are full color collage style, some with add-ons (extra embellishments on each page, goodies included, etc.) There are some black and white zines that include art or are specifically art zines that work really well, and I think it's due to how carefully done they are. There are even some with black white ones with photographs that are really well done. An example of each: Jane Boston's zines have wonderful collages and their quality is wonderful; Bree Chumley's zines (such as Coney Island of my mind) - beautiful photographs, great quality copying that doesn't diminish them.

From my own experience, I think making b&w art just takes trial and error, and finding a good copy machine.

I also like doing full color because a lot of mine include 3 dimensional objects in the collages - sort of mini mixed media pieces, and I want all of it to come through.
I made one last week called "Book Art"

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=15798116

It's the first issue, so it's only my own work at the moment, but hopefully I can get some interesting inclusions as I go on.

Totally agree with your pov, art zines have to be printed well, just because they are primarily visual.

There are artist book fairs? Cool!
Emma Jane Falconer said:
I'm working on a colour photography zine. I found a website www.magcloud.com that does print on demand magazines from your pdfs, no adverts or minimum print runs, which was just what I wanted. I'd wanted to do something similar for a while, but not been happy with results from colour photocopiers (they tend to burn out highlights in photos), and found it an expensive way of doing things. I'm not hurrying making it though, as they are in beta and haven't sorted out international postage yet, which means I can't get to see my proof without some postal shenanigans.

If you're looking for a UK print-on-demand alternative, maybe try lulu.com
she is! and they are great!

Trent Rampage said:

Niku said:

ah! i've been her like, livejournal friend for YEARS but i've stopped being on ther for a while now. i got her zine ages back and it was awesome! i'm going to have to try to find her on this and ask her for a trade.

Niku said:
she is! and they are great!

Trent Rampage said:

Niku said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service