We Make Zines

a place for zinesters - writers and readers

So I made a goal of reading 200 zines this year! That's only 17 a month. Anyone else down? C'mon let's do it, that way we can feel justified in calling each other names in all the other forums!

Here's what I've read so far:

1. Seven Inches To Freedom #7
2. On Support//Ditching The Boys' Club
3. The Dream Of My Adolescence by Renzo Novatore
4. Shiny Things On the Ground
5. Vex Digest #11
6. Razorcake #59
7. Abbot and Costello Meet Dormarth's House of Horror Review: Evil 13th Issue
8. Psionic Plastic joy #16
9. Think About It...A Zine On Verbal Consent and Addressing Sexual Assault
10. Cutlass #5
11. To Destroy Sexuality
12. Razorcake #60
13. Against The Logic Of Submission by Wolfi Landstreicher
14. Apes Of the Sea:ReActions #2 by Keith Rosson
15. Stinkin' Never Thinkin' by Alicia Dyche
16. Abracadabra Zine #0
17. Gullible #15/Nothing Is Cool #4/Square Suckers #9/To Smear Your Face With American Dirt split

So far, I chose to include pamphlets that were independently (re)-printed. But chose not to include something I received from Microcosm to review because I draw the line at isbn numbers, that makes it a book. Ya gotta stop somewhere. That's just me.

I was thinking about making haiku reviews for each one, too! Maybe I'll get on top of that if this post gets read at all.

Anyway, get on board and post yours here, too! Commentary and discussion of stuff read is also encouraged!

Views: 165

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

200 zines in a year?  What an awesome idea!!  If you live in or near Portland, OR you should rise to this challenge without question, especially because of the IPRC.  They have a library of thousands of zines.  More info at iprc.org.  What are you waiting for. 

A side note: the zines Microcosm produces are still zines.  Microcosm is trying to spread the word and make zines more accessible for everyone, and I don't see any reasons why their publications shouldn't be included.

I think that my reason for not including a Microcosm release was misunderstood. I was under the impression that something that I had received was a book and not a zine because it had a ISBN number and was bound. upon reading it I learned that the author considered it a zine and included it. I was just making a personal judgment call on what constituted a zine on one particular item, I wasn't talking shit about Microcosm or saying that they aren't to be included. I also chose not to include a political newsletter, even though it might pass as a zine due to being self-published. I was simply making a judgment call one what I want to call a zine for this challenge and it's been misunderstood and not only by you, so I hope this clears things up.

Nicholas Whitman Kessler said:

200 zines in a year?  What an awesome idea!!  If you live in or near Portland, OR you should rise to this challenge without question, especially because of the IPRC.  They have a library of thousands of zines.  More info at iprc.org.  What are you waiting for. 

A side note: the zines Microcosm produces are still zines.  Microcosm is trying to spread the word and make zines more accessible for everyone, and I don't see any reasons why their publications shouldn't be included.

7. Manifesto # 1

8. Inverted Girl #1

9. Apples, Oranges, & Zombies (Sin Issue)

Here's what I read over late February-early May in spare minutes driving a taxi:

23. A Scrawny, Effeminate, Smelly Body of Work by Georgios Tsangaris

The second volume of poetry by Georgios, also pretty good.

24. Goodwill Zine #8

Louisville-centric medley zine

25. Punk Planet #59

Wish this were still around

I've just reached an eighth of my goal. Hella behind.

26. Cometbus #54: In China With Green Day

Introspective analysis of mainstream ex-punks and old friends of Cometbus Green Day when he goes on tour with them. It's been a long time coming for something like this. Great stuff!

27. Out of Control #3

28. Maximum Rock N Roll #332

Here's my list so far this year! It's not quite up to where it should be for June, but I'm on a zine organizing/ordering/reading rampage lately....

http://listography.com/createorperish/books/zines_ive_read_this_year

I think I just got, as they say on these forum things, pwned.

Rory Grimes said:

Here's my list so far this year! It's not quite up to where it should be for June, but I'm on a zine organizing/ordering/reading rampage lately....

A bunch of mine are small, for real. ;)

Finally hit 100 not five minutes ago! My hundredth zine for the year was Pieces #6, which was a total joy, although I may be biased towards stream of consciousness travel zines.

I've been doing a lot of trading lately, so here's to another 100....

Hadn't posted in a while and found I just broke 50! Sweet! Thanks for lighting a fire under my ass, Rory.

29. Gullible #13
30. Grund Lit Zine Issue 7
31. Con Queso #1
32. Denial of Existence #8
33. Vex #23
34. Human Waste #1
35. Hot Tea, Cold Water #2: Transportation
36. Northwest Pirate Punx Zine! #1
37. Taking the First Step: Suggestions to People Called Out For Abusive Behavior by Wispy Cockles
38. No Conversation #1
39. The Rebel's Dark Laughter: Writings of Bruno Filippi
40. Ilse Content #1
41. Drinking Sweat In the ash Age
42. Portland, Oregon Hiphop: Four Essays on Style and Place by Martha Grover
43. Towards the Queerest Insurrection
44. The Anti-Exploits of Men Against Sexism
45. Verboslammed No. 9
46. The Straight Mind/One Is Not Born a Woman by Monique Wittig
47. Loitering Is Good
48. Doris #28
49. Murder Cop
50. Profane Existance #59
51. Loose Leaf #2
52. Spying On The Scene #5
53. Maximum Rocknroll #336

I've really loosened up on what I'm allowing myself to call a zine as it gets  further into the year. It's gotten to anything photocopied passes. Before I was all is that a zine or a book? Blah, blah. Does this count because it's a reprinted pamphlet? It never serves well to be buttclenched.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Want to advertise here?

Ist preference given to distros and zines. Rates and details are here. Limited space. Very Low Cost!

Please Support Our Sponsors

Sweet Candy Distro

Con Artist Collective

Ker-bloom! Letterpress Zine

© 2014   Created by Krissy PonyBoy Press.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service