a place for zinesters - writers and readers
THi everyone, here are the further details of the 6th Annual London Zine Symposium!
on Saturday 29th May 2010 :: 12pm-6pm
The London Zine Symposium brings together zines, small press writers, radical press and comic creators to celebrate DIY and zine culture.
Held at: The Rag Factory, Heneage Street, London E1 5LJ
It's conveniently placed just off Brick Lane on Heneage Street, about 400m north of Rough Trade and the Truman Brewery.
station: Liverpool Street Station
tube: Aldgate East
bus: 205, 25, 254, 67, 15
All the usual stalls, food and busy-ness including:
Read You What I Wrote
Zine readings for the 2010 London Zine Symposium with:
* Charlotte Cooper – queer fat researcher and activist in East London, interested in fat activism and DIY culture
* Josie Long – stand up comedian who likes word games and scottish indie bands, writes Drawing moustaches in magazines monthly
* Isy Morgenmuffel – anarcha-feminist and author of Morgenmuffel comic zine
* Patrick Staff – Patrick from Ricochet! Ricochet! zine
The readings are being hosted by Melissa of Cherry Bomb Comics and My Mouth, Your Ear.
Creating our own culture
A discussion group with zinesters Melanie (Colouring Outside The Lines), Patrick (Ricochet!
Ricochet!), Em (The World’s A Mess & You’re My Only Cure), and Debi (Self-Publishing and Empowerment)
talking about taking the DIY ethos of zine-making and applying it to becoming creative producers and creative consumers.
They will discuss:
* Organising gig and spoken word tours
* Setting up independent gallery spaces
* Forming bands
* Launching own publishing houses
* DIY Book publishing
* Exhibiting art communally
Come and hear how and why they are creating their own cultural environments/cultures/worlds, and discuss how you could too. Feel free to bring
examples of what you’re up to,
and/or ideas, plans, and projects that you’d like to put out in to the
Artist Trading Cards!
Art you can put in your pocket.
Make and trade artist trading cards (pieces of art the same size as baseball or Pokemon cards). All you need to bring is yourself! We’ll be providing glue, scissors, cardboard, pens etc. If you feel like it
bring your own magazines, newspapers and crafty stuff to use!
A kids comic workshop
ZEEL and Orson OF Melonfarmer zine welcome kids to their MONSTER LABORATORY – making
monsters nice and nice things monstrous. Come along (with your parent or
guardian) and help us and our friends make drawings for a special issue of Melonfarmer Zine.